Striving to be a "HOKE"
I just watched Driving Miss Daisy for the first time today. Wow how could I never seen this before. I think my emotions are running high but wow!! I was angry, teared up, smiling all sorts of feelings. It truly amazes me how people could have treated people the way they did and how some people still do to this day! I mean honestly the color of our skin in NO way reflects who we are inside. Nor does it set us up to be any certain way. It boggles my mind how that can matter so much to people.
There is one scene where two officers stop Miss Daisy and Hoke and accuse Hoke of mischief. The call him Boy and that just made me so mad!! He had to be at least 20 years older then the two men in the movie and the lack of disrespect was phenomenal! I just wanted to reach through the T.V. and slap those men (yes I know its just a movie). It breaks my heart to think what people went through back then.
When people think of racism they typically think of whites vs. black though it goes both ways and TRULY that is the saddest thing. Aren't we all Daughters and Sons of a Heavenly Father? So if your black,white, orange or polka dots who gives a CRAP?! It doesn't matter in fact who cares? Its not the color of your skin that defines you, no its the insides that counts!!
The last scene of the movie is where Daisy is in a rest home, its Thanksgiving and Hoke comes to visit her. She tries and fails to eat her pumpkin pie...and Hoke takes the fork from her and proceeds to feed her...wow. The amazing thing is through out the movie Daisy doesn't treat Hoke the best, though I think its more to do with stubbornness then racism but he keeps helping her no matter what she does or says. Its true love and friendship that allows people like Hoke in real life to act the way he did.
Hoke and Daisy relationship reminds me of Heavenly Father and my own relationship. Even when I wasn't following or when I had faltered He never gave up on me NOT once he was always there with a helping hand and loving heart. I know I can be better at being a "HOKE" and will strive to do so. Funny though I didn't intend for this post to turn into a testimony but i'm going to any way ;)
I know that My Savior and Heavenly Father love me. I know that they have been with me my whole life in every turn every up and down. I know the power of the True gospel. I have seen it more times then I can count in my life. I am so grateful for a young Joesph Smith who had the courage and the strength the bring forth the One and Only Gospel. With out him we would be Truly lost today. I am so honored and blessed to be apart of this amazing work and I am so proud to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Amen.
This movie is now one of my favorites! The love that is between the friends in the end is so deep, it melts my heart.

0 comments :
Post a Comment