Saturday, April 28, 2012

Tucker

I feel like I should write about Tuckers accident. I want to make note of all the miracles that happened with our family is documented. So here we go. Just a disclaimer though I am putting up a picture of the car at the end.
Sunday morning Clayton and I were sitting in our living room just laughing and talking having no knowledge that in a few minuets the happy and light mood in our home would soon fade and be quickly replaced with fear, anxiety and dread. Daisy my youngest sister walked into our apartment white as a ghost. I quickly asked what was wrong. She said " Tucker is in the hospital he was in an car accident." Totally confused and worried I quickly called my father and asked "WHAT THE HECK!?". My Dad's worried voice rushed into the phone...He said that they only knew that Tucker had been in a accident was in the hospital and though awake, he was banged up. The cops and called my parents while in church and my parents ran my younger siblings to our house and the drove straight to the hospital. They next hour was awful none of us knew what condition Tuck was in or the story. My poor parents weren't able to see him for a while and as soon has they could my dad was by Tuckers side while the stitched up his head. Since they were still working on Tucker when my parents got there we weren't able to get the story for a long time.
Finally when Tucker was able to talk and tell everyone what happened we all realized the Miracle that took place.
Tucker was just on a drive. He was driving down canyon rd. The road was slick and he was driving a little to fast. He turn to sharply and flipped the car. He was ejected from the car. He went out through the driver side window. Though Tucker only remembers turning to sharply and then it all went black. He remembers waking up to people all around him.
We are TRULY blessed to have Tucker still with us. We were told we were Lucky that it was amazing he made it out alive. Now for those of you who know Tuck he is Tall I mean 6'4 Tall. He is skinny but boy is that boy tall. How his tall frame made it through the tiny window amazes me still. I honestly and truly believe he had help. I think he was pulled through the window by someone on the other side of the veil. I believe it was my Grandfather Merle Hinton. He passed away a few years ago. I have had this strong impression since the accident. I mean it the only thing that  make sense to me in a crazy situation.
Tucker was lucky to come out with injuries he had. He had A lacerated spleen, cuts all over his face, A huge gash on his forehead, A tendon from his neck snapped off and took bone with it (we now know that its the equivalent of breaking your neck.) bruises covering his body, a minor concussion and a sore back. Most of his injuries over two weeks later are healing and almost gone. His neck still bothers him and he will continue to be in the neck brace for at least 6 more weeks. It AMAZES me to see him heal so fast!!! The cuts are gone from his face and body. The gash is basically no more you can barley see a start of scar though the Doctors are hopeful the gash wont scar at all! :)
The healing process is more then just the physical he still relives the accident and it scares him. I don't blame him I relive it and it didn't even happen to me.
The medical staff that took care of Tucker were AMAZING!! I want to write about one situation. When Tucker first came in and they were stitching up his head. He kept telling the doctor that his neck was in a lot of pain. Instead of just finishing up the stitches and then attending to Tuck the Doctor stopped several times to try and take him more comfortable. That touched my heart. He didn't have to do that he could have finished the stitches and then delegated Tuck to someone else but no he helped Tuck in every way he could.
Tucker had several nurses helping him. They would spend several minutes several times a day helping him re adjust and help him get comfortable.
We found a sleeping bag in the back of the car when my dad went to clean the car out. The bag wasn't ours. It was used my someone who had seen the accident stopped to help my brother and covered him to keep him warm until the EMT's could get there.
After the accident My dad and I went to the accident scene. My dad said " just want closure.. and I really want to find his glasses...I know they are probably ruined and we might not find them but I want to..." We looked over the scene and walked and found items left behind. I said a silent prayer that we could find the glasses so that my dad could have some peace. To my surprise I found them...smashed and broken but we found them.
My Aunt Linda knows a lady that works at the hospital. They were having lunch and Tuckers story came up. The lady said that all  that day all the medical staff at the hospital were talking about the miracle boy who survived the awful crash! Everyone was so shocked/surprised to know the severity of the accident and then find out he only had the injuries that he had.
Going through things like this make you realize how much family means to you. I am so grateful for my family and wouldn't be the same person or be where I'm in in life with out them. I love them so much...every single one!!
I am so grateful for all the tender mercies of the Lord during this time if struggle. We are so blessed to have Tucker still here today and on the mend. Our family will ALWAYS be grateful. Though this post would be to long to write all the blessing that came out of this experience at least some of them are recorded.
I know Heavenly Father is watching over us always and this is proof of that.


2 comments :

Charles April 29, 2012 at 12:11 PM  

Thank you Meghan for writting this down for us. It is a tender thing to read and must have been difficult to put into words. I know we were blessed in ways we have seen, felt and in ways we have yet to realize. I believe with all my heart that Tucker's need for help was answered as his Grandfather's hands parted the veil and reached through that window. I love him for being there for us.

018megs May 3, 2012 at 7:29 PM  

:) Love you dad :)